Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When do you say when



When does one come upon the decision that enough is enough? What is it the others see in a dog that makes them say she is now "suffering" and no longer has quality of life? Where is that line that gets crossed from just plain stressed to now suffering? How can you tell the difference and when do you say when? Is it ones own internal breaking point of sadness and sense of despair? An idea that death is better than these temporary moments of pain or struggle? Or is it the loss of hope that someone will still come rescue our ball of love soon?

Pictured was our 6yr old kissy, butt wiggling, arthritis riddled, dog aggressive, suggles lovin', people pleasing Boxer mix named LOLITA. Unfortunately for me I had not lost that hope yet but I was one of the few who hadn't. LOLITA was with us for about 6 months and didn't exactly start out great. She was relinquished to us by her owner and would vomit up the gallon of water she would drink from stress and refuse to eat in or walk back to her kennel. Eventually we were able to get volunteers to foster her overnight and she would spend all of her day in the front office just hunkered down on her cushy bed and sleep. We put her on some pain meds for the arthritis and a sensitive stomach diet for her queasy belly. LOLITA seemed to finally be settling in.She would run and play in the yards and when she was in her kennel she would playfully hop up and down with her front legs at the front of it with a plush toy in her mouth in a way that asked "are you gonna take me outta here? C'mon c'mon c'mon take me outta here!" She was one of the main favorites of many of the volunteers and got lots of walks and lovins. I had even started getting her not to bark at the dogs coming through the front office by constantly jingling my keys and then showing her it wasn't a dog. She did however start barking at a few people who walked through the front office and that was not a common behavior with her.

LOLITA was still eating her food even while she was in her kennel and I never saw her show any other signs of now "suffering" and being "miserable" while in there, other than her vomiting up some foam on Saturday on our way down to her play yard. Two days later when I got back from my weekend I was asked if I would help put her down because the powers that be felt she was "miserable" since she was vomiting again after being so good for so long. I can't say what happened exactly in those two days that sent her to the green mile.

Let me tell you what I know about suffering. I lived my life for 20yrs in deep suffering. 20+ yrs of hating life, where I was and who I felt I was. I asked for death almost everyday and even tempted it once...needless to say It didn't take. I can't tell enough people now how blessed and happy I am that I made it through all that suffering to wind up where I am now. I am highly blessed and love my life and my situation and that I made it through all that to be able to experience my life now. I survived my "miserable" existence to wind up where I always believe our dogs will be....with people who love you and take care of you.

I guess I believe if I can make it through years of a miserable Present it's ok for our babies to go through some stress and anxiety to wind up in the same ending to their story as I did..in a place of gratitude and happiness. I would have missed out on so much beauty had I not made it though those painful times and if my loved ones gave up hope. I too refuse to give up hope. Unfortunately my hope is not always enough to keep one alive.
RIP my Sweet LOLITA. You will be greatly missed..I'm sorry you didn't get to hang in there longer. I love you

No comments: